Did you know that bananas and Nutella go together? If not, now you do and that makes me happy. They go SO well together that I made a muffin with both of them. Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl are moist and delicious. They truly are a morning treat and they’re even better with coffee.
Let’s be real. I eat Nutella on a nightly basis with a spoon. I also dollop it all over vanilla ice cream and just one more thing…
I eat it with bananas.
It only makes sense to make a banana muffin with Nutella swirled into it, RIGHT?
So how did this recipe start? Well…I was at my husband’s Grandma’s house and sitting in her kitchen were 6 Williams-Sonoma cook books – specifically baking and one about breakfast. She doesn’t bake so I asked her if I could have them and she said take them! Get them outta here! (not really, but to me it felt like a really exciting moment).
In return, I promised to bring her a lemon dessert next time we visited.
So I am flipping through these cookbooks and I came across Banana-Walnut Muffins. Good, great. I like banana walnut muffins but not enough to spend the time making them.
Just as I was closing the book, it hit me. Add Nutella to them. It helped that I recently bought a JUG of Nutella at the store so it was on my mind.
I mean, how gorgeous? It’s honestly the perfect combination for a dessert. I now want to make a Banana Nutella pie, Nutella pudding with bananas and graham crackers. I want banana Nutella everything!!!
I shared these with a friend and my husband brought them to work. It made them smile. It made them say things like “these are so good.” My husband’s only complaint was that they were too small. HA!
I responded…”well just have another then.”
These not only taste great, but I love the texture of them – they’re soft and moist and the pockets of Nutella are insanely good. Heck you can even slather more Nutella on them like butter. Why not? I mean, why not?
I would so make these for anyone at anytime. They’re easy to make and taste great. You know, because it’s a “muffin” it’s not really dessert so people tend to enjoy them more. Eating two cupcakes is like OMG, but eating two muffins is totally fine. It’s totally fine.
And because of that, I suggest you start preheating your ovens!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons Nutella plus more for swirling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin pan with liners or spray well with non-stick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas then add the oil, vanilla, buttermilk and egg. Stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir until combined. Dollop the 4 tablesoons of Nutella into the bowl and gently swirl - do not overmix it in. You want to see the Nutella swirls.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Dollop another teaspoon of Nutella on top of each muffin and use a toothpick to gently swirl.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins should come out clean. Remove and let cool.
Banana Muffin recipe from Williams-Sonoma Muffin book.