This post is sponsored by Prego® but opinions are all my own.
The air is cooler, school has started, and the leaves are turning colors. Fall is here! When I think of Fall I think of football, cozy sweaters, beautiful walks and comfort food. Comfort food, being my favorite part of Fall, of course. This recipe for Butternut Squash and Kale Pasta Bake is a simple, flavorful and a healthy meal that your family will love.
Roasted butternut squash, fresh kale, sage, and whole wheat penne pasta is mixed together with Prego® Homestyle Alfredo Sauce then topped with low-fat mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs – the perfect seasonal comfort dish that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Are you hungry? Let’s check out exactly how you make this meal!
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and cube up some butternut squash. If you don’t want to peel and cut your own butternut squash, you may be able to find pre-cut butternut squash at your grocery store. Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 12 minutes.
While the butternut squash is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add one box of whole wheat penne pasta. Boil for 7 minutes – you want to under cook the pasta slightly because it will continue to cook when you bake it later.
Mince up some fresh sage. Sage is the ultimate Fall herb. It’s delicious with vegetables and pairs so well with the flavors in this recipe!
Then chop up some fresh kale.
Kale is so in…you know.
Everything should be ready by now, so all you have to do is add the pasta, kale, butternut squash and sage into a large pot then pour in either two small containers or one large container of Prego Homestyle Alfredo sauce and mix.
The sauce is soooo creamy – I love it.
Next pour the pasta into a large baking dish. Loving the Fall colors!
And now for one of my favorite parts of this dish, the topping! Add some shredded mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs on top of the pasta and drizzle with a little olive oil to help it brown up nicely.
Now bake! Just for about 15 minutes then broil for 5 additional minutes to make sure the top is extra crispy.
That was pretty easy- right? This meal lasted us two days and it was delicious for lunch too. I simply re-heated it in the microwave. If the pasta seems a bit dry, you can add a little more Prego Homestyle Alfredo to it.
Grab a fork and dig in!
- 2 14.5 oz (or one large) container Prego Homestyle Alfredo sauce
- 1 13.25 oz box whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 small butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced sage
- Two large handfuls chopped kale (you can more if you like)
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- A few pinches of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add cubed butternut squash to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 12 minutes then set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil to cook pasta. Cook pasta for 7 minutes then drain.
- Add pasta back into the large pot and add butternut squash, kale and sage, then pour Prego Homestyle Alfredo into the pot and mix.
- Transfer the pasta to a large baking dish and top with mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs and a few drizzles of olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes then broil for an additional 5 minutes.