Caramel Brownies are so rich, thick and fudgy – you cannot say no to these. Caramel is one of my weaknesses, and when it’s swirled into a fudge brownie, I basically roll over and submit. You’re going to love this recipe!
It’s -12 degrees right now here in Chicago land. My hand stuck to the door knob when I took Izzy out this morning, and I never thought I would get it back. Help! It’s just too cold out. I definitely would prefer to stay at home today, snuggled up in a blanket and and watch The Food Network. Oh Winter…
Well, one thing that’s keeping me warm are these crazy caramel brownies! They are ooey gooey and delicious, just what I’ve been craving. It took me 3 times to perfect these, the first two times tasting exactly the same but lacking the ooey gooey melt in your mouth factor, but I think I finally figured it out.
I was trying so hard to make my own caramel sauce, and each time it turned out thick and creamy but never worked all that well in the brownies. So instead I decided to use just regular caramels melted down with sweetened condensed milk, which is the most simple way to make caramel sauce. Good news…it worked!
I used my Chocolate Fudge Brownies recipe for these Caramel Brownies and it worked really well, the only additions were caramel and chopped pecans which truly changed these into an entirely different dessert. I just love that, one base recipe but there result is two different desserts.
I would advise warming these up and adding a plop of ice cream on top – heaven.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your Pinterest board by clicking the image below!
- 1 cup sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 11/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag caramels
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with aluminum foil and grease with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix sugar, eggs and vanilla with a whisk.
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in the microwave, heat at 30 second intervals then mix until melted and runny.
- Once chocolate and butter are melted, pour a little into sugar and egg mixture to temper the eggs and whisk. Continue slowly pouring the rest of the chocolate to the sugar and eggs and whisk until incorporated. Then add flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 8×8 baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramels and sweetened condensed milk in a sauce pan over low heat until completely melted.
- Pour half the caramel over the baked brownie layer and sprinkle with pecans.
- Drop remaining brownie batter over caramel/pecan layer and carefully swirl with a knife.
- Bake for another 15-18 minutes or until edges start to pull away from the pan. Let brownies completely cool before cutting.
Source: Stuck on Sweet