When in doubt, make cheesy potatoes!! Cheesy Potatoes are a staple side dish in my family. Frozen cubed potatoes are seasoned then mixed with cheese and baked with cream until bubbly and cheesy.
When you’re looking for something to bring, let’s say for Easter because it’s around the corner, Cheesy Potatoes is your dish. My family often makes this for holiday celebrations because it’s pretty much unreal. It’s also a cinch to make and requires little ingredients. It can be made ahead of time, too! WINNING!
I brought this over to my in-laws for Sunday dinner – they were all going back for seconds. It was completely gone by the end of dinner. There is nothing that makes me happier than people devouring my recipes. 🙂
As mentioned before, Cheesy Potatoes are a cinch to make. You simply layer the ingredients, pour heavy cream and half & half over the top and bake for a few hours until tender and bubbly. The frozen potatoes already come with onions and peppers making this dish even easier to make. No chopping or cutting for this one!
I have been enjoying this dish for years, like since I was a little kid, and I still get excited when my mom makes it. I had to share the recipe because I love it so much and I think you will, too!
TO PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW.
- 2, 28 ounce packages cubed frozen potatoes with green peppers and onions
- 1, 10 ounce block sharp cheddar cheese, grated (doesn't have to be exactly 10 ounces, but around that amount. I suggest grating it yourself as pre shredded cheese doesn't tend to melt well.)
- ½ pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint half & half
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika (okay if you omit this. Adds more color than flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish (butter or non-stick spray would work); set aside.
- Add salt, pepper garlic powder and paprika to a small dish and stir.
- Add one package of potatoes to the greased dish, sprinkle with half of the seasoning mixture and half of the cheese.
- Add the other package of potatoes to the dish and sprinkle with the last half of the seasoning.
- Pour heavy cream and half & half over top evenly. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove aluminum foil and bake another hour. Turn off oven, sprinkle the last half of cheese on top and place back into the oven to let the cheese melt. It will take just a few minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.