There are all types of cookies, but these chewy sugar cookies are one of kind. They’re slightly crispy but undeniably chewy!
Gotta love those perfect cookie cracks, right? That means you’ve got yourself a chewy cookie. I am a huge fan of sugar cookies. I often get one when I venture to a bakery every once in a while. There’s something so simple and delicious about them. I think they taste like cookie dough and I LOVE COOKIE DOUGH. Perhaps that’s why I eat several of them at a time. One spoonful of cookie dough just isn’t enough!
This recipe can easily be adapted to make other “types” of chewy sugar cookies like sprinkled sugar cookies and m&m sugar cookies. Raya opted for the m&m ones of course, but I loved the sprinkled one…because they’re cute!
This is not a fussy a cookie dough, very easy. Simply make sure the butter and sugar are room temperature so they blend evenly. You do not want to over-bake these cookies otherwise they won’t turn out chewy. They shouldn’t brown at all along the edges so watch them carefully in your oven.
I used regular m&ms and mixed them into the dough and added a few extra on top of the dough before I baked them. Mini m&ms would work very well and would evenly distribute a little a better than the regular ones but that’s totally up to you!
I love a cookie recipe that can easily be adapted. Believe it or not adding m&ms or even mini chocolate chips totally changes the flavor of the cookies. You could also use different extracts like almond or lemon to totally change them up, too!
Whatever you decide, please make them!
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar for rolling cookies
- 1 cup mini or regular m&ms
- ¼ cup sprinkles
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a non-stick mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- Using a stand-alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (hand-held works, too), cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg and mix until well incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl stir together the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With mixer on low-speed slowly add the dry ingredients just until incorporated, do not over-mix.
- If you're making m&m, sprinkled or chocolate chip cookies, add to the dough and mix with a spoon.
- Lastly, add ½ cup sugar into a small bowl for rolling the cookie dough balls.
- Use a 1½ tablespoon cookie scoop (a spoon would work, too. just make sure they're all the same size) to measure out cookie dough. Roll into a ball and then roll into the sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and bake 8-12 minutes. All ovens are different so watch carefully that your cookies don't over-bake. They should puff up and crack a little, but not brown at all. Let cool on cookie sheet.
Recipe from Cocinando Con Alena