What’s Joey’s favorite food? Sandwiches! (name that show)
I’m not sure if his favorite sandwich is chicken salad, but that’s what we’re talking about today. Such a classic, Spring sandwich that everybody loves. And hey, if you don’t know the answer to the show, let me give you a hint, it started with F and ends with S. It’s also a classic and I still watch it every night before I go to bed. I tell ya… It’s the little things in life that keep me going.
So this sandwich is ridiculously easy. Bake some chicken and then mix all the ingredients in a bowl. This version is pretty healthy – I used lite mayonnaise, but you could also substitute Greek yogurt or you could go all the way and use the full fat mayonnaise. All I can say is yum.
I used bone-in chicken breasts, but you can use boneless chicken breast. The texture is just a little different. Bone-in will be tender and boneless will have more texture – both good options. Hope that makes sense?
Chicken salad makes a great sandwich but it’s also very good by itself – perfect for a lite lunch or to make for guests because it’s eeeeeeaaaasy.
You all know I usually have a favorite part to every recipe so…I LOVE the lemon juice in this recipe. It’s so refreshing. It’s the little things like a squeeze of lemon juice or fresh chopped herbs that turn simple recipes into flavorful dishes that you feel proud of. And just one more thing, the more “freshness” you add to your food, the less salt you have to add. Notice the only salt in this recipe is to season the chicken breasts. We all know how I feel about plain chicken…
Just remember, it’s the little thing! 😉
For more delicious recipes, follow me on Pinterest!
- 2 bone in chicken breasts, seasoned generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grapes, sliced in half
- 2 stick celery, chopped
- handful of slivered almonds
- juice from half a lemon
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I used lite)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in baking dish and cover with olive oil. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Let cool completely. Once cooled, shred or chop chicken into small chunks.
- In a bowl, add chicken and the rest of ingredients and mix. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve on a bun with lettuce and tomato.