Chocolate Caramel Sugar Cookies is one of my very favorite cookie recipes, EVER. A simple chocolate cookie dough is wrapped around a Rolo chocolate candy then rolled into sugar and baked until puffy. When you bite into the cookie, there’s a chewy caramel center. It’s wonderful!
I’m not sure I have to write much more. I think this picture does this recipe justice. But I have to write so let me tell all about these beauties!
I fell in love with this cookie years ago when I was reading the blog, Iowa Girl Eats. She shared this recipe and it has been in my very unorganized recipe book since.
I have made these cookies several times and never once screwed them up. The dough is so stable and if you follow the directions (which are very simple), these cookies turn out every time!
I kinda think they are perfect for the holidays. I love the dark chocolate color and the sugar coating!
Raya enjoyed making these…well she enjoyed eating the dough! I have to admit, I made these twice and kind of did screw up the first batch. I measured the cocoa wrong and I measured out too much dough so the cookies were flat instead of puffy (see recipe below), BUT they still tasted AMAZING and the texture was still spot on. So with all that said, yes you can mess them up as far as looks go, but the taste is still spot on.
I’m glad I made this mistake though…prevents you guys from doing it, too!
When you measure correctly, you get this though. A perfect, puffy, chewy and crunchy chocolate sugar cookie that has a delicious bite of caramel inside.
I could just eat them like this…before the baking. Chocolate cookie dough wrapped around a Rolo and covered in sugar?
Please send 320830293!
I love these so much that I am actually baking up a third batch to bring to a cookie tasting party!
What I love most about these Chocolate Caramel Sugar Cookies is how easy they are to make, but they come across as a fancier cookie. They definitely aren’t a “traditional” cookie more of a “delicacy” so they’re the perfect cookie to bake for the holidays!
I hope you guys make these! Thank you to Kristen from Iowa Girl Eats for sharing such an awesome recipe!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided. (1/4 cup will be used to roll the cookies in)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 24 rolos, unwrapped
- Cookie dough has to chill prior to baking so when you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- In a stand-alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (hand-held mixer works, too), cream together butter with ½ cup granulated sugar the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and add it to the mixer on low-speed until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Cover and chill dough in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once dough has chilled, measure 1 tablespoon of dough - make sure it's 1 tablespoon. If you measure more, cookie will flatten too much. Although they still taste great they don't look as puffy and pretty. Roll the dough into ball and gently flatten into a disc. Place a Rolo in the center then wrap the dough around the Rolo and roll into a ball. Lastly, roll the cookie dough balll in a bowl of granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet and bake just for 8 minutes.
- Let cookies cool then enjoy!
Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats