We’re starting this week off right.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Frosting my friends. Oh yes. I was craving chocolate. Weird. And I noticed that I didn’t have a simple chocolate cupcake recipe on the blog for you. Everyone needs a good chocolate cupcake recipe right? Right. So I woke up on Saturday morning, had a cup of coffee, and went to work. I was adamant on creating the perfect chocolate cupcake so I put a lot of thought into it. I wanted layers of chocolate, I wanted them to be moist, I wanted them to be fluffy, and I wanted them to be fall of your chair good.
How was your weekend? Mine was good! I got really burnt and look like a lobster. Now back these cupcakes.
I added unsweetened cocoa powder, melted semi-sweet chocolate, AND semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. One lick of this batter and you will be doing your happy dance.
It’s very similar to a brownie batter – thick, ooey and gooey.
I know we’ve talked about our favorite “sweet flavors,” and I always say that I’m more on the fruity side of dessert, which is mostly true, but these cupcakes are putting up a darn good fight.
I don’t know if it’s the cupcake itself or if it’s the frosting. This is my favorite frosting recipe…by the way. It’s the perfect combination of a rich butter cream frosting and light whipped cream frosting. The mini chocolate chips add just the right amount of texture to the overall cupcake, and they’re so freaking cute!
What do ya think? You want one?
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5.3 ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a bowl, add dry ingredients; flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder and mix; set aside.
- In a stand-alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together oil and sugar for 1 minute. Add vanilla extract, eggs, one at a time, Greek yogurt, and cooled chocolate continue to mix for an additional minute.
- With the mixer on low-speed, alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk three separate times scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Finally add chocolate chips and gently mix.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full with batter and bake for 19 minutes, turning the cupcake pan once half through the baking process.
- While cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- In a sauce pan, combine flour and milk and place over medium heat. Whisk until the mixture starts to spit and thicken (this will happen in just a few minutes). Take off heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Set mixture aside to cool completely (you can place it in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process).
- In a stand-alone mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. The mixture should be light in color. Once the milk/flour paste has cooled, add it to the mixer and whisk for one minute, scraping down sides of bowl half way through the mixing. The frosting will be light and fluffy. Finally add mini chocolate chips and gently mix.
- Allow cupcake to completely cool before frosting. Garnish with mini chocolate chips if you would like.
Cupcake Recipe: Stuck on Sweet, Frosting Recipe slightly adapted from: Can you stay for dinner?
Like this cupcake recipe? For more of my favorite cupcake recipes, follow my Cupcakes Pinterest board!