The good ol’ pot roast dinner is an oldie but a goodie. I make this easy pot roast recipe a few times a month because my family enjoys it so much. Put all the ingredients into a dutch oven or slow cooker and let it go! The slow cooking process results in a tender roast and tons of flavor!
Say hello to my kid’s favorite dinner. Honestly this is it. They would prefer to eat pot roast over homemade macaroni and cheese. Pot roast seems like such a boring dinner, right? I think when someone says oh were having pot roast, people are like eehhh ok.
That’s how we felt until I made it and we realized just how good it was. I love this recipe that I’ve developed because it’s easy and results in a delicious dinner that everyone enjoys – husband, kids and myself.
I typically make mine in the oven but the slow cooker works just as well. I simply sear the meat and then throw everything in the dutch oven and let it slow cook until it’s done…takes about 3 hours. I like to keep it simple – water and worcestershire sauce are the base – the meat, onion, garlic and carrots flavor the broth as it slow cooks and it creates a wonderful “gravy” to drizzle over the top when finished.
Your house will smell amazing as the roast cooks – tons of flavor again from this recipe with minimal ingredients. I always keep these ingredients on hand so that at any given day I just need to grab a chuck roast. We often eat this dinner with a salad or some sort of potato – whether its roasted potatoes or simply some fries I throw in the air fryer. We’re good old fashioned folks when it comes to our pot roast – we dip it in ketchup! The kids eat.it.up.
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4-6 garlic cloves (use 4 if they're large)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Herb of your choice (Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano or a mixture of them)
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- OVEN PREPERATION:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large dutch oven, drizzle olive oil in the pan and place over medium high heat.
- Season roast with salt and pepper all over, using your hands to rub it in.
- Place roast in the pan and sear roast on both sides for about 3 minutes each until nicely browned.
- Mix water and worcestershire sauce together.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, water and worcestershire to the dutch oven. Sprinkle fresh herbs all over. If you dont have fresh, dried herbs work well.
- Put lid on on roast and place in oven for 3 hours. Remove and enjoy with a salad, mashed potatoes or just as is!
- SLOW COOKER PREP:
- 1. Do the same thing as above except after searing the roast in a pan, place in your slow cooker along with the other ingredeints and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Meat should be tender and easy pulled apart with a fork.