Fruit Fluff (aka Fruit Salad) is a staple in my house. Canned fruit is mixed together with instant pudding, whipped topping and mini marshmallows for a delicious sweet side dish! (pictures updated November 2020)
Fruit Fluff brings me back.
My mom grew up on a farm in Sibley, Iowa where fresh, homemade farm food was made daily. Grandma Den Beste was a whiz in the kitchen making everything from sloppy joe’s, to cinnamon rolls, to corn casserole, to potato salad to…to…it goes on and on. She also has the BIGGEST sweet tooth. I mean we are talking dessert after every meal and with coffee during the day. I wonder why I like coffee and sweets so much?
So fruit fluff has become a staple in our house. We typically make it every year for the holidays. Every bite reminds me of home and I just adore that cozy comforting feeling I get when I devour it. It also tastes like heaven.
I love making this side dish with my kids – definitely a recipe they can easily help with!
A few notes about this recipe:
- make sure to drain the fruit very well…even pat it dry with a paper towel.
- You can use different types of canned fruit or even fresh fruit if you want.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and this will last a few days in the refrigerator. If you use fresh fruit stay away from apples and bananas unless you’re serving right away, otherwise they will turn brown.
What brings you back to the good ol’ days?
- 1 30 ounce can fruit cocktail, drain juice in a bowl
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, drain juice in the same bowl as the fruit cocktail
- 1 15 ounce can mandarin oranges, drain in a bowl
- 1 3.9 oz instant vanilla pudding
- 8 ounces whipped topping (like cool whip), thawed
- half bag of mini marshmallows (you can use more if you would like)
- Maraschino cherries for color and garnish (optional)
- Drain canned fruit (make sure to drain it well!) into a bowl reserving ¾ cup of juice. Discard the rest of the juice. In a large bowl, whisk together the ¾ cup juice and instant vanilla pudding for two minutes - will be thick. Fold in cool whip then add drained fruit and marshmallows and mix. Finally. Cover tightly and chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Everything will thicken as it chills.
Source: Stuck on Sweet