And my salad obsession continues.
We typically go all out on the weekends – eat whatever we want whenever we want. I cook during the week but when it comes to the weekends, it’s straight eating out and enjoying all the yummy food the Chicago area has to offer. Because of that I/we often don’t eat as healthy – Portillo’s cheeseburgers and cheese fries, ice cream from Graham’s Chocolates, and Italian food, of course, from a few of our favorite local restaurants.
Monday night meals are pretty much always healthy. We actually crave salads on Mondays. “Vin, what do you want for dinner this week? “Something healthy. Like a salad.” “Alrighty then.”
Today I am sharing a very simple Greek Salad with ya. It has ingredients like cucumbers, chickpeas, roasted red peppers, and feta cheese in it.
SO so good and very very healthy!
I almost always saute up some chicken breasts in olive oil for salads. Sometimes I will do fish and sometimes I will do steak. Because I can’t have raw meet at the moment (hello baby girl!) we don’t eat a lot of steak around here. Plus, it doesn’t sound all that great to me – it’s not that it makes me feel sick, it’s just kind of eh to me (said the girl from Iowa. eek!).
Chicken and fish it is!
I know I’m a broken record on this, but salads are so pretty. They’re one of my favorite meals to photograph. The colors and textures stand out because they’re naturally appealing – this makes the styling of them is a bit easier which makes them more fun to photograph.
We eat with our eyes first, right?
I did not make a homemade dressing for this. I know. I know. I wasn’t in the mood mmk? So I bought a Greek dressing and taste tested it first. It was a bit too acidic for me so I added some sugar to it. I found that a sweet vinaigrette goes well with these flavors. Don’t ever assume because you buy something “premade” that you can’t or shouldn’t adapt it and make it your own – that’s what cooking is friends!
So now I look forward to Mondays…
Because of the food, not because it’s actually Monday. Mondays typically make me want to pull my hair out.
- 2 bags romaine lettuce
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Greek dressing (you're favorite)
- Add olive oil to a saute pan and place over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken breasts and saute on each side for about 4 minutes or until cooked through. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Once cooked through set aside to cool slightly.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients and add them to a bowl. Slice chicken breasts and add to the bowl. Add dressing to your liking and toss.