So do you also grill every night in the Summer?
I might be fibbing just a tad…we don’t grill EVERY night but several nights of the week our grill gets a total workout. Ya know how you’re supposed to work out 3-5 days a week? Well…our grill doesn’t miss a beat when it comes to that.
Why can’t I be more like my grill?
If you don’t work out 3-5 days a week like me (this has been a new year’s resolution of mine for the past 10 years) then at least you can eat the rainbow! This Grilled Summer Vegetable Pasta is nothing less than GORGEOUS, right? I’m obsessed with the color and I am obsessed with its simplicity.
This recipe doesn’t call for a lot…the ingredient list may look long but it’s basically vegetables, spaghetti, lemon, garlic, fresh herbs and of course salt and pepper. OH oh…and cheese, but just parmesan cheese…not JUST like parmesan cheese isn’t a big deal because it totally is…I eat parm on everything, but I mean JUST as, isn’t parm a staple in everyone’s house?
I let my grill do the work on this one. Grilling adds a ton of flavor to recipes. I simply helped bring out the flavors of the veggies by adding fresh herbs and some lemon juice.
Let’s chat about grilled lemons real quick. You should grill lemons all the time, like every day. In fact, you should grill fruit every day. The grill marks are so fun (yes, fun!) and the fruit becomes juicy and delicious.
Summer will be over before we know it, so I suggest you go get your grill on.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2-3 garlic cloves)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 box spaghetti
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- 4 basil leaves, chopped (can add more if you would like)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups pasta water
- Turn your grill to medium heat.
- Place corn and halved lemon directly on grill and grill on all sides until lightly charred. Remove and let cool.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the tomatoes, chopped red pepper, zucchini and onion on it. Drizzle with olive and sprinkle salt and pepper and garlic on top of it - use your hand to evenly coat all the veggies. Place baking sheet on grill and toss veggies a few times until they are softened and lightly charred. Don't forget to use an oven mit to remove the baking sheet from the grill!
- While veggies are grilling and cooling, bring a pot of water to a boil, add a tablespoon of salt and cook pasta according to package directions. Before draining the pasta reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water.
- Add pasta back into the pan you boiled it in and add the vegetables, corn (cut off the kernals), the juice from the grilled lemons, parsley, basil, a few pinches of salt and pepper and half of the pasta water. Toss and see if it seems too dry - if so, add more pasta water. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed. Serve and top with lots of grated parmesan cheese.