Sausage and Peppers is a family favorite. There are so many ways you can make it but the easiest way is to roast in the oven! Serve with bread and dinner is ready in an hour with minimal preparation and clean up!
Ever since I met my husband we have been eating sausage and peppers. It’s one of those Italian meals that never gets old and is absolutely delicious. Plus, when you live in Chicago, it seems as though sausage and peppers is served at every party and every fast food chain. I’m not complaining because I adore this dish!
I have made this meal several ways and it turns out no matter what. You can grill the sausage, you can roast the sausage, you can brown then roast it or you can cook it in a skillet on your stove.
I prefer browning then roasting, but you can simply just roast everything which is what I am showing you today!
You literally throw all of the ingredients into a large baking dish and roast in the oven for about an hour turning the sausage half way through. It seriously doesn’t get any easier than this!
Gorgeous, right? Serve this over a salad and with crusty bread and you have a wonderful, hearty meal that is SO flavorful. Italian sausage is delicious on it’s own but when it’s baked with lots on onion, peppers and some herbs, it’s even better.
This has become a weekly meal in our house because it’s easy and cheap. Sausage is pretty price friendly which is always a nice perk to any meal. I serve it with bread, over a salad or with a side of roasted vegetables.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 8 Italian sausages (mild or hot depending on prefernce)
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion (any kind will do), sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Italian or French bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice sausage in half if they are long.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large baking dish and toss to coat. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, remove pan and turn sausages over and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Broil for a few minutes if sausage needs a little more color.
- Serve with French or Italian bread and giardiniera.