Sometimes I get inspired.
I lied. I always get inspired. That is truly what I love about blogging – all of these recipes are inspired from something or somewhere. Yes, I make up ideas in my head for recipes but it’s only because I’ve seen, heard of it, or crave it.
You can be inspired from cravings right? I mean I crave chocolate chip cookies which is why I was inspired to make Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies. Right?
I like how I am talking about cookies and kale salad at the same time. You with me you sweet toothers?
Aaaannnyyyway. I was inspired to make a kale caesar salad because last weekend my foodie friend, Julia, and I attended the BlogHer Food Conference and we snuck away for lunch at Sienna Tavern (I LOVE SIENNA TAVERN) and guess what we had?
Yep yep, you go it it! A kale caesar salad, soup, and champagne…ssshhhh.
I also had a bunch of organic kale in my fridge that I did not want to go to waste so thank goodness for the inspiration.
Whew that was a close one.
PLUS, kale is sooo many health benefits. This article has a ton of great information about kale if you’re interested!
So in the recipe below I talk about massaging kale. Have you or do you massage kale? It sounds odd but you should totally do it. Here is a video that shows you how to do it and explains why you should do it mmmk?
Let’s talk about this salad for a second. This is not any caesar salad – it’s a caesar salad first made with kale (healthy!)… in it is sweet and chewy sun dried tomatoes, buttery avocado, a little seasoned chicken and CORNBREAD CROUTONS!
Bah! The salad we had at Sienna Tavern did not have cornbread croutons…my inspiration came from the 6 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix I had in my pantry.
I’m so sad – I threw away like 8 boxes of Pillsbury cake mix the other day. Wah wah wah. Don’t worry, I bought another 8 boxes at the store yesterday. Cake pops are in my near future…
Again with the sweets and healthy stuff in the same sentence? Anyway…point here my inspiration came from buying too many boxes of cornbread mix and not wanting them to go to waste.
Haaalp me. It’s Friday right?
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 2 chicken breasts seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 1 bag or 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and washed
- ¼ cup (or however many you like) sun dried tomatoes
- Half of an avocado, diced
- 1 box jiffy corn mix and ingredients that go with it (milk and egg)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Olive oil
- Ceasar Dressing
- 1-2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese (or however much you like)
- Cook chicken breasts - I like to cook them in a skillet with olive oil but you can also bake them. To cook in a skillet, season chicken breasts and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes until center is no longer pink. If chicken breasts are thick, slice them in half so you have 4 thin chicken breasts - they will cook more evenly if they are thinner.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the cornbread according to package directions and add a tablespoon of honey. Bake in an 8x8 greased pan, let cool. After cornbread has cooled cut half of it (save the rest for snack!) it into to 1 inch chunks and place on a rimmed cookie sheet and drizzle with olive and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes until cornbread croutons start to brown a little. Remove and set aside.
- While cornbread is baking, prepare the kale - remove stems, wash, dry and lightly chop then place in a bowl and massage for 2 minutes until kale starts to soften and break down. Massaging kale helps make it less bitter and easier to eat.
- All the ingredients should be ready now, simply chop the chicken and prepare the salad with the massaged kale, chicken, sun dried tomatoes, avocado, cornbread croutons and parmesan cheese - gently toss with ceasar dressing.