Any nursing moms out there? Raise your hands! I’ve got you – I am also a nursing mother for the third time and I hit the 6 month mark which means things start to shift for me. I felt like I needed to up my water and nutrients to keep my milk supply going strong. These lactation cookies are WONDERFUL. Such an easy way to get the nutrients I need while helping my milk supply. Plus they are healthy and a great snack that I look forward to every afternoon!
The 6 month breast feeding mark has always been tough for me. I sort of hit a road block – do I want to continue? My milk supply seems to be decreasing…but I still want to feed my baby. It’s hard and there’s no perfect answer. All you can do is listen to yourself and do what you feel is best for YOU. In this case I decided I wanted to keep going on my breast feeding journey and to do so I had to add a few things to my diet. This is where lactation cookies come to play – they’re full of oats, flaxseed and brewers yeast which help yield milk supply. I love a little afternoon treat so these are perfect for me. It’s such and easy way to get the nutrients you need as a breast feeding mom. I also have seen results in my milk supply so they’re working for me!
A few other things I’ve done to help maintain a healthy breast feeding journey:
Up my water in take
make sure I’m eating every 2-3 hours
Don’t skip a feeding
Added 1-2 pumping sessions a day 30 minutes after I fed my baby WHEN I HAD TIME. I don’t always do this but it does help.
Brewers yeast is a funny ingredient – it does not taste good but you can definitely hide it in a cookie and still enjoy the cookie. I got the Mommy Knows Best brand. You could also add this to smoothies and other baked good like muffins, pancakes, etc.
These cookies are GOOD! They baked in the same shape as I scooped them – kind of remind me of an energy ball. They’re crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Slightly sweet with tons of chocolate chunks that help make these feel like a traditional oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. I will be definitely be making these often and even without brewers yeast to enjoy.
Feel free to reach out with any questions! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup brewers yeast (try to get non bitter)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat.
- In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients - oats, flour, brewers yeast, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl melt the coconut oil then add eggs, coconut sugar, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix with a spoon. Add chocolate chips and mix.
- Measure about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and plop on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes. You can flatten them to get a flatter cookie or keep them round.
- I freeze mine so they last longer and I enjoy them cold.