You can’t go wrong with the classic combo of lemon and poppy seeds. Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner time treat. You know me…I love all dessert with coffee so a slice with my afternoon coffee perks me right up!
I love making “dessert breads” for several reasons. Let’s clarify something first…dessert breads are really just cake, but because they’re made in a loaf pan they are often called a bread. At least that’s how I see it. Making cake in a loaf pan is easy and less time consuming but the results are still awesome. Now…I do understand people want a traditional layered cake sometimes…I get that but if you’re making it to simply enjoy something sweet or for a new neighbor, dessert breads are the perfect treat to bake up.
Although it’s still January, my brain is already thinking of Spring. I do this every year – I am not a Winter person, probably never will be but things like lemon poppy seed bread keep me pushing forward until Spring time.
I used the reverse creaming method for this recipe – which means mixing the dry ingredients with butter first, then adding the wet ingredients. For geeky bakers like me, this is fun and interesting. I love this method – makes more of a velvety textured cake or “bread” versus a soft crumb. Try it! I think you will enjoy it, too!
I love a good thick icing on top of this lemon poppy seed bread – definitely makes it more of a dessert bread. Every bite has an extra pop of tangy sweetness from this simple lemon glaze.
Hope this recipe brightens up your Winter as we wait for the much needed Spring sunshine!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk (try to use whole)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or greek yogurt
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and line a loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; add flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and lemon zest. Mix for a few seconds to incorporate.
- Add cubed butter and turn mixer to medium-low speed. Mix until course crumbs form.
- While you're waiting for the butter to incorporate; mix wet ingredients in a bowl - whole milk, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and sour cream.
- With mixer on low-speed, gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients then turn mixer to medium-high speed and let mix for 1 minute. Lastly, add poppy seeds and stir with a spatula. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, check for doneness with a knife or toothpick. Let cool before frosting.
- To make icing, whisk powdered sugar, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and thick. If it's too thick, add a little more lemon juice for desired consistency. Pour over cooled bread.