A twist on chicken salad – Mexican Chicken Salad! Same great idea but different flavors. Sweet corn, red onion, cilantro, avocado, and chicken are stirred together with fresh lime juice and a little mayonnaise to make the most delicious lunch ever!
This recipe received quite a few good reviews so I had to share it with you! It was inspired by an avocado chicken salad recipe I came across but didn’t didn’t fully execute the way I was supposed to. I didn’t love the idea of mashing up avocado with chicken – that just seemed a little mushy to me.
So instead, I decided to dice up some chicken pretty finely, add a little mayo to make it “creamy” and put the avocado on the side. By a little mayo, I mean 1-2 tablespoons so this Mexican chicken salad recipe is very healthy, too!
My husband and salad group friends loved this one. I served it with chips to add a nice crunch, but it can be enjoyed all by its beautiful self.
I bought my chicken pre-cooked from the prepared foods section at my store (hello time saver) and it was delicious. Do you ever do that? I know it seems weird or even gross, but try it! My grocery store happens to have great precooked meals and I’m all about saving time these days.
Ya feel me?
I love the colors in this dish and even more, I love the flavors. The sweet corn and lime and a little dash of cayenne are such a good combo. The mayo adds a nice richness and of the course the red onion and cilantro give it a nice bite.
I could eat this everyday!
- 1½ cups shredded or diced chicken - 1 large chicken breasts, cooked and diced finely (could also shred a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 small bag frozen corn
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- Two avocados, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1-2 limes (I used 1½ limes)
- big spoonful of mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare the ingredients - chop, dice, cook, etc.
- To make chicken breast, simply add oil to a sauté pan and place over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides for about 5 minutes. Depending on thickness of chicken, it may take longer. You could also purchase a cooked chicken breasts from your deli or use a rotisserie chicken.
- To cook corn, heat a good drizzle of olive oil over medium heat, add frozen corn and gradually heat through for about 5 minutes stirring a few times. It's okay if they char a little.
- Let chicken and corn cool before assembling salad.
- When you're ready to make the salad, simply add all of the ingredients to a bowl and gently stir. Taste for seasoning - add more salt, pepper and cayenne as you'd like. Also add more lime juice as you would like.
- Serve immediately. If you're waiting to serve, I suggest waiting to add the avocados until right before you serve as they will turn brown.