If you’re looking for an easy yet delicious weeknight meal, this Mexican Lasagna is your ticket. Simple ingredients and can be made ahead of time so it’s ready to bake right before serving!
My good friend, Ashley, had us over for dinner a few weeks ago and she made this Mexican Lasagna. It was SO good. The kids loved it, too. Whenever I come across a recipe that my entire family loves, I know it’s going to become a weeknight meal contender.
She sent me the recipe, I made it and it was just as good as when I first tried it. So I made it again and here we are!
This recipe is just like your typical lasagna but made with different ingredients – Flour tortillas take place of the lasagna noodle but other than that it’s very similar. Mexican meat sauce, pinto beans and Colby jack cheese are layered between the tortillas and then baked until hot and bubbly.
It honestly doesn’t get any easier or better than this!
I served it with sour cream and guacamole which were the perfect additions to the meaty and cheesy lasagna.
This dinner recipe also is great as leftovers – simply reheat and dinner is served again. I have to thank my friend for this one – she and I both have a love of food and she is great cook and baker, too! Thanks, girl!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 packages taco seasoning (or you can make your own - recipe below)
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1, 14 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- TACO SEASONING for 2 pounds of meat:
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook for about 10 minutes until nicely browned. Drain excess fat.
- Next, add salsa and taco seasoning and continue cooking for 10 more minutes on low heat, stirring often. Set aside to cool.
- Shred cheese, drain beans, prepare other ingredients while beef cools, slightly. Doesn't need to be totally chilled, just cool enough to handle.
- To assemble, spread just a few spoonfulls of beef on the bottom of your dish, cover with two tortillas.
- On top of the tortillas, add about 1/3 of ground beef, 1/3 of the beans, 1/3 of the cheese and 2 tortillas. Repeat another layer -beef, beans, cheese, 2 tortillas. Finally, finish with what's left of the beef, beans and cheese. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, turn off oven and let sit in oven for 5 additional minutes to settle.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole, extra salsa if desired!
This recipe can be made ahead of time and baked later. Simply layer the "lasagna" then place in refrigerator until you are ready to bake. Best for ingredients to be room temperature before placing in the refrigerator to prevent condensation from forming.
This dish is also great as leftovers and can easily be reheated the next day.
Recipe is from my friend, Ashley
Taco seasoning on slightly adapted from whatsgabycooking.com