I’ve been so into Nutella lately, and I had over ripe banana so here we have it. Nutella Banana Bread – a delicious banana bread that’s been swirled with rich and creamy Nutella!
You’re gonna want to look into this one. This actually turned out better than I even expected. At first glance I was a little unsure but oh my gosh, when I tasted this! It was SO GOOD.
Nutella swirled banana bread is where it’s at!
Nutella is eaten with a spoon on a nightly basis in my house. I just love it. It’s my goto “I need a sweet fix and I need it now” craving.
I love love love eating it just as is, but I wanted to incorporate it into something because, let’s be honest, Nutella deserves it!
I saw overripe bananas and I immediately thought oh yes, DUH.
Nutella Banana Bread.
We often make Nutella Banana pizzas at my in-laws when we have pizza night so this combo is not new to me. I love this combination…kind of like peanut butter and banana. It just goes.
This makes one LARGE loaf and it takes awhile to bake so be prepared to check it for doneness. Don’t worry though…it’s definitely worth the wait!
I love the swirl of Nutella throughout the loaf of banana bread. It helps keep the bread moist and it adds a richness to the banana bread that makes it that much better.
Let’s also talk about that swirl! How cool is that? It’s so pretty. The Nutella almost turns black when it’s baked…it may look burnt to you, but it’s not, I promise!
It’s the perfect snack, breakfast, dessert – whatever you want it to be!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, browned (see notes below)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas
- ¾ cup nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan; set aside.
- First, brown the butter - simply melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. It will start to sizzle. Once it sizzles, stir constantly until until you see brown flecks in the butter and smell a nutty aroma. Remove pan and stir constantly for an additional minute; set aside to cool. The butter will have a deep caramel color. Careful not to burn the butter!
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl then add sugar, eggs, vanilla and the cooled butter.
- Next, mix together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and stir into the wet ingredient mixture just until combined.
- Pour about ⅓ of the batter into the prepared pan then dollop about ⅓ of the Nutella on top and swirl with a knife. Repeat this step - ⅓ of batter and little more Nutella then swirl. Finish off with the last of the banana bread batter then top with the rest of the Nutella and swirl. Bake for 30 minutes, turn the pan in the oven and tent with aluminum foil to prevent the top from burning. Bake an additional 40 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a knife into the center. It will come out with Nutella on it but you shouldn't see any wet banana bread batter. If you do, put back in the oven for another 5 minutes with the aluminum foil still tented on top and check again until done. Let cool completely before removing from pan. The outsides may be browned, that's ok! The Nutella almost looks black on top when baked so don't be concerned - it does not taste burnt. Enjoy!