Oh this Peach Upside Down Cake is on point. I’m loving all things peach right now and it seemed appropriate to make a delicious dessert out of them. Fresh peaches are sliced and arranged in the bottom of a cake pan, then moist vanilla cake is poured on top then baked until fluffy. Serve with ice cream – you will be in heaven!
I can’t stand this cake! I mean really, I can’t. In a good way though, ya know what I mean? It’s just too beautiful and tastes too damn good. Caramelized peaches and perfectly moist yet fluffy vanilla cake are a really, really good combo.
It really helps when you find the most beautiful and tasty peaches, too! I found them at Aldi! I will definitely be going back for more. They were sweet and tart and not brown at all on the inside – the perfect peach for this perfect cake.
This cake is actually very easy to make! Simply peel a few peaches, pour some melted butter and brown sugar on the bottom of a cake pan, arrange the peaches then top them off with a simple vanilla cake.
And then you get this! There is truly nothing better than caramelized peaches – honestly they are just so dang good – I could eat them alone for dessert. Buuuuuuuut…when baked into vanilla cake? EVEN BETTER. Just look at that goodness!
This is definitely a go-to cake for parties – my kids loved it and it’s not any harder than making another kind of cake. It’s also just so beautiful – fun to have something pretty on the table, ya know?
Enjoy this cake!
- 1-2 large peaches, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (additional butter below for cake)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 up sour cream, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour melted butter into a 9x2 inch round cake pan. Make sure to cover sides as well. Next, sprinkle in brown sugar and arrange peach slices so they evenly cover the bottom of the pan. (see picture above for visual); set aside.
- Prepare the cake by first measuring out dry ingredients and mixing them together in a bowl - flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Next, add 6 tablespoons room temperature butter and granulated sugar to your mixer. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until pale in color.
- Next, mix in eggs on medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl, until well incorporated - should not see any lumps.
- Mix together milk, sour cream and vanilla in measuring cup.
- Lastly, pour about 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix on low until incorpated. Next, pour half of the milk mixture and do the same, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Repeat, ending with flour mixture - 1/3 flour, rest of milk mixture then last of the flour mixture. Batter will be slightly thick - do not over mix!
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan, spreading with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes then tent the cake with tinfoil for the last 15 minutes to prevent the top from browning too much.
- Let cool for 15-20 minutes then turn over onto a plate. Serve with ice cream!