This treat is a holiday staple – Peppermint Bark screams Christmas. If you’re a peppermint fan, you will love this easy Christmas recipe. Semi-sweet and white chocolate are melted down and spread out then topped with crushed peppermint candies. Doesn’t get any easier or yummier!
Not only does peppermint bark look and taste like Christmas but it goes full circle as a nice Christmas gift. Wrap some of this delicious “candy” in a cute bag or on a tray and your gift receiver will love you!
I decided to use semi-sweet chocolate/dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate as white chocolate is pretty sweet. I added a little peppermint extract just to the semi-sweet chocolate to gift an extra boost of peppermint flavor.
To make peppermint bark, simply:
Melt down semi-sweet chocolate, spread onto a prepared pan and chill for 20 minutes.
Melt down white chocolate, spread on top of dark chocolate then spread peppermint candies on top. Chill for 20 minutes.
Break up and eat!
What a great treat to have at your Christmas celebration – put it out on a platter and just let everyone enjoy a bite or two. Careful though! It can be addicting.
Also – this can be frozen so if you have leftover or want to make it ahead of time, simply store in a freezer bag for later use!
- 24 ounces high quality dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, cut up
- 24 ounces high quality white chocolate, cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Line a baking pan with pachment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- There are two ways you can melt the chocolate - a double boiler or in the microwave - a double broiler is a little easier, but less convenient if that makes sense. Simply simmer water in a sauce pan and place a heat proof bowl with the chocolate in it on top of the pan - the steam from the water will heat the chocolate and melt it - you can easily see it melt and stir while it's melting and know when it's done. Or you can use the microwave and heat the chocolate in intervals. Either way works just make sure to not overheat the chocolate. Now to the directions - Melt down dark chocolate with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil in the microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring well after each interval until melted. Careful to not "overmelt" as chocoalte with seize. Make sure to stir very well after each interval. Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and mix well. Pour onto a lined baking sheet and spread evenly into a rectangle using an offset spatula if you have one. Chill for 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- Repeat steps for white chocolate except it doesn't. need peppermint extract, just 1/2 teaspoon oil. Once white chocolate has been spread out evenly on top of dark chocolate, sprinkle with peppermint candies and chill for another 20 minutes or until set.
- Use your hands or a large knife to break up the bark. Can freeze in a freezer bag for later use.
Chocolate easily seizes up if it gets too hot. Please melt carefully. Use high quality chocolate instead of baking chips as it melts better!