You will be very happy. Promise.
I really do love these brownies though! They’re not overpowering with peppermint flavor so don’t worry peppermint haters. If you really want to bring down the flavor, simply add less peppermint extract…simple as that!
These are wintery and Christmasy and that’s why I love them. They look festive, taste festive and that’s all that matters this time of the year, right?
I absolutely adore chocolate ganache too. It’s so decadent and beautiful and so freaking easy to make! It sounds fancy but it’s simply chocolate and heavy cream mixed together. It only takes two to tango, ya know what I mean?
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest – just click the image below!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (could also use milk chocolate)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (if you use salted butter, omit the salt above)
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- Candy canes (smashed - simply put into a bag and smash with a pan until crumbled)
- 9 ounces (1 heaping cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips (milk chocolate will work too)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 or 9x9 pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with non-stick baking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter and 1½ cups chocolate chips in the microwave. Start at 30 seconds, check and stir then continue to melt in 15 second intervals stirring after each interval until melted. Careful to not let chocolate get too hot or it will stiffen.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until just incorporated. Batter will be sticky.
- Lastly, fold in white chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 18-22 minutes. The edges will start to slightly pull away from the pan. (mine baked for 20) Let cool.
- To make the chocolate ganache, add chocolate chips to a bowl and set aside. Add heavy whipping cream to a small pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips. Let sit for 30 seconds then whisk until smooth. Pour over brownies and let cool.
- Decorate with sprinkles or smashed candy canes.