Taco Tuesday! Taco Tuesday! Taco Tuesday!
This is my first taco Tuesday post. I am so behind the curve, but hey, better late than never. I can’t promise that there will be tacos every Tuesday, but I will do my best to at least post taco recipes ON Tuesdays.
So we love tacos around here. I just don’t make them often and I can’t really tell you why other than I haven’t come up with a recipe that is good enough to share. Well, until now! These pork tacos were different from any taco I’ve ever made. I typically do the ground beef or shredded chicken which are always typical and good but like I said, nothing to freak out over.
Until I decided to slow cook some pork.
Oh pork, you’re such a beautiful thing. Oh slow cooking, you’re so easy and stress free.
And spice rubs? You gotta make spice rubs. I mean check out that crusty goodness – that’s flavor people. Flaaaaa.vor.
It turned out sooooo perfect. Probably the best slow cooking meat I’ve ever made. Shredded like butta…
It doesn’t stop there though. Instead of adding sour cream, avocado and lemon juice separately to the tacos, I decided to mix them together until a smoooooooth sauce formed. OMG who knew that mixing them together would create so much more flavor than just adding them on top of a taco? I can’t explain it because you would think it wouldn’t matter. But it does. It really does!
It also makes your tacos look so fancaaay.
And colorful. And absolutely delicious.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 3 - 3.5 pound pork shoulder (mine was 3.35 pounds)
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you like spice!)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ avocado
- juice from half of a lime
- pinch of salt
- Cotija cheese
- Corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a bowl, mix all of the pork spices together. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork shoulder. Add olive oil to the bottom of your slow cooker and place the pork shoulder on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Pork will fall apart and be easy to shred.
- To make the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a mini food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Assemble tacos as desired and drizzle the sour cream avocado sauce on top.