Red Wine? Short Ribs? Potatoes? Um. Yes.
I’m not sure that I have to even say much more!
But I will.
Red Wine Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Potatoes, Carrots, and Onion. It’s a mouthful, literally, and is a WONDERFUL meal.
I love good ‘ol traditional hearty meals ya know? This one brings me back to my Iowa days when my mom would make a roast with potatoes and carrots, except that I wouldn’t eat the carrots. They were gross back then but today they are sweet bites of deliciousness.
Have your taste buds changed over time, too? I feel like mine change every week. I guess that’s a good thing…?
I also love a slow cooker recipe. Am I right or am I right? There’s a little work that takes place before the slow cookin’, but it’s doable and not too hard. Just browning the short ribs and making the sauce…no biggie. The sauce is delicious by the way. I used a red cooking wine from Holland House, some beef stock, and some herbs. Simple and flavorful!
Check out what happens after 8 hours of slow cooking…
The carrots and onions are juicy and sweet, the potatoes are fork tender and absorb the sauce flavor, and the short ribs? Well…they fall off the bone. The bones were literally at the bottom of the slow cooker. Yes, that’s a good thing!
And…your meal is ready!
This is truly and one-pot meal – you serve it in ONE dish. I love that. It’s so cozy and comforting and gives me an excuse to use my large serving dishes.
So what do ya think? On the meal planner for next week?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post for Holland House Cooking Wines and Vinegars®. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting Stuck On Sweet!
- 4 short ribs, fat trimmed off then seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (1 tablespoon), minced
- 1 white onion cut into large chunks
- 3 large carrots, peeled, and cut into 2 inch sticks
- 3 red potatoes sliced in half
- 1 cup Holland House Red Cooking Wine
- 2½ cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add short ribs and sear on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown. If they start to burn, turn down heat. Remove short ribs and place in slow cooker along with the garlic, onion, carrots, and potatoes.
- In the same large pot add 3 tablespoons of flour to the drippings from the short ribs. Whisk for 1 minute until flour has cooked out a bit. Next add the red cooking wine, beef broth and all the seasonings; bay leaves, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, and basil. Continue to cook and whisk until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, can take up to 5 minutes.
- Once sauce has thickened, pour it into the slow cooker with the meat and vegetables. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Spoon off clear fat at the top of the slow cooker and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Follow me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!