The day is almost here!
Yes, I’m talking about Valentine’s Day! What a fun holiday…another excuse to eat yummy food. I decided to make a very simple treat for you because sometimes simple is best. We love simple around here. There is nothing more nostalgic than rice krispies treats, right? These bring me back to when I was little…every kid loves a good rice krispies treat. Every kids likes to help make them because of the sticky goodness left on the spoon and bowl…you know what I’m talking about.
I decided to make “adult” ones for Valentine’s Day…if there is such a thing as “adult” treats.
There’s nothing in these that make them adult, like booze or something, but they are cut into little hearts and drizzled with white chocolate…fancied up a bit. They’re so darn cute and fun to make. My family ate them up. I melted some white chocolate and died it pink and simple dipped and drizzled like a mad woman. It was fun.
Let’s great real here…I received several compliments on these which I was a little surprised because well…rice krispies treats are pretty generic…in a good way, though. I decided to add more marshmallows, a little vanilla and a little salt, which took them to the next level. They had a ton of flavor and were oh so sticky…lick your fingers sticky.
A few tips to help make sure these turn out perfect:
1.) Melt butter over low-heat. It should NOT sizzle or turn brown.
2.) Use mini marshmallows.
3.) Melt mini marshmallows over low-heat, too and only until they are almost melted – there should be a few chunks left.
4.) Turn off heat before adding the cereal.
These simple tricks will help you make a perfect rice krispies treat. I promise!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest – just click the image below!
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (if you use salted butter, omit the salt below)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- White chocolate
- Grease a 9x9 or 9x13 pan; set aside. (they will be thicker in a 9x9 pan)
- Melt butter in a large pot over low-heat.
- Add marshmallows, salt, vanilla and cook until marshmallows are almost melted, stirring often. Turn off heat and add cereal. Stir to combine then press into 9x13 pan and let cool. Cut into shapes if desired.
- If dipping in chocolate, melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir then heat at 15 second intervals until melted and runny.
- Dip rice krispies treats in chocolate, place on parchment paper to set.