Roasted Chicken Dinner – it doesn’t get any better or easier than this! Add all of the ingredients into one pan and roast until delicious!
I came across this recipe when I was flipping through a magazine in a waiting room. In an effort to simplify and eat healthier, I thought a dinner like this sounded delicious.
I love roasted vegetables as you may know and I liked the idea of roasting an entire chicken versus a chicken breast so we could have leftovers.
I tried this recipe three times and I loved it all three times. I made some subtle changes based on flavor preference, but other than that, it turned out perfect each time.
The result in a tender and juicy chicken and caramelized potatoes and carrots. A few lemons and garlic cloves are roasted along with the potatoes and carrots helping flavor the entire dish.
This recipe can be made ahead of time – in fact the chicken should sit over night to begin with, but you can add the vegetables along with it and put it all in the oven in when you are ready to eat.
I have also made this during the day, brought it to room temperature and then reheated and served it for dinner. It was still delicious. Reserving some of the pan juices will help “hydrate” the chicken if it dries out a little.
This roasted chicken dinner is great weeknight meal because of its make ahead appeal or it would be a wonderful dinner party meal as well.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 4-5 pounds whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 small carrots or 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 shallots, peeled and halved. Could also use a yellow onion.
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes or fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 lemons, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled then smashed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Wash and pat chicken dry. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper, wrap in plastic wrap overnight. If you don't have time to do this, you can simply make the chicken right away.
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, remove from refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees while chicken is coming to room temp.
- While chicken is coming to room temperature, prepare the vegetables and lemons by placing in a large roasting pan (an aluminum pan works well if you don't have a large roasting pan). Toss them with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Arrange vegetables and lemons on the outside of the pan and place the shallots and garlic in the center.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on the chicken and place in the center of the pan.
- Roast for 55-60 minutes or until the chicken registers 160 degrees. Remove chicken and lemons from pan. Flip the veggies and place back in to roast for an additional 15-20 minutes until caramelized.
- Carve chicken, sprinke with fresh parsley and squeeze lemons over everything before serving. Enjoy!
This is a great make ahead meal - simply prepare everthing and when you're ready to roast, place in the oven.
You can also bake this ahead of time and re-heat when you are reay to serve. Make sure to reserve some of the pan juices. Poor juices over chicken then reheat in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. If you carve the chicken before reheating, it will heat faster.