Today’s post is super special.
I am not only sharing a delicious and healthy meal but I am going to talk a little bit about a very important initiative, The Sustainable Seafood Project.
I met Jessie from Life As A Strawberry at BlogHer Food 14. She is the sweetest gal and an amazing blogger. She is also an advocate for sustainable seafood and started The Sustainable Seafood Project. Jessie and her team bring together food bloggers to help shed light on the importance of sustainable seafood. When she asked me to become a partner of The Sustainable Seafood Project, I immediately said yes.
I will be honest. I did not know much about sustainable seafood until Jessie reached out to me. After reading and researching I became somewhat angry because I learned that seafood is being taken advantage of. Many species are victims of over fishing which means people are catching them faster than they can reproduce. When this happen, it not only effects other species in the environment, but the specie gets closer and closer to extinction. It’s incredibly sad.
I am not saying don’t eat seafood. We all know I eat just about everything, but what I am saying is be mindful when purchasing seafood. Monterey Bay Aquarium is a great resource to learn more about what you can do to help sustain seafood. I particulary like the seafood recommendation page – you can click on on the seafood you are looking for and it tells you what the best options are. In this case, Alaska Salmon is the way to go and it just so happen my local grocery store typically has it. Woot Woot!
I hope we inspired you to think a little deeper when it comes to purchasing seafood and we hope you enjoy all the amazing recipes out here that use only sustainable seafood. Below are the other amazing blogger partners who are also advocating for sustainable seafood!
Now onto the recipe my friends!
Roasted Salmon with Ginger Honey Glaze is a cinch to make and has a TON of flavor. Ginger and honey? It’s a match made in heaven.
If you’re looking for a lighter yet fulfilling weeknight dinner, this recipe if for YOU. Alls you gotta do is make a simple glaze, roast some salmon, cook some brown rice, and saute some vegetables. The ginger honey glaze brings the entire meal together with fresh ginger, lemon juice, honey, a little soy sauce and sesame oil and of course, fresh basil. You will be licking your plate clean, trust me.
Now off to read more about The Sustainable Seafood Project!
- 2 6-8 ounce salmon filets
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or more if you really like ginger)
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce + 2 additional dashes
- 1 basil leaf, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a baking rack on top and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the ginger honey glaze by adding all the ingredient to a bowl and whisk; set aside.
- To make the salmon, add all the salmon ingredients to a bowl and whisk. Pour the marinade over salmon, coating all sides. Place salmon on baking rack and roast for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, brush some of the glaze on top of the salmon. Turn your oven to broil at 525 degrees and broil salmon for an additional 15-17 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with rice, vegetables and more glaze sauce.
I would love to connect with you on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram!