Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are downright amazing. Salted caramels are baked between two layers of chocolate chip cookie dough resulting in a gooey, very tasty cookie bar!
This recipe is the result of my husband. I asked him what I should make for the blog and he said something with salted caramel. I bought those Fleur De Sel Salted Caramels from Trader Joe’s – have you tried them? I’m pretty sure that’s where his inspiration came from. I should turn to him for recipe inspiration more often because these Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are AMAZING.
I used these caramels from Trader Joe’s and they worked perfectly. They are soft caramels so when they are baked then cooled, they don’t harden up again like the Kraft caramels do. So, if you can, I would suggest using them. I talk more about this in the recipe below.
I also made these using a jar of salted caramel sauce – it also worked but the bars were much gooier, but still tasted amazing.
These have definitely been added to my go-to list of recipes to bring to parties. They’re so easy to make, easy to transport, freeze well and they’re just so delicious – it’s impossible to eat just one.
I sprinkled flaked sea salt on top to make sure the salt flavor was present even though the cookie dough has salt in it and so do the caramels. Trust me…it’s not too much.
Part of me just wanted to plop some ice cream on top and dig right in! You could totally do that! How fun would that be for kiddos? I know Raya would be all over that.
HECK. I would be all over that! ENJOY!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (doesn't need to be room temperature)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkling on top (I used flaked sea salt for the top)
- 25 soft caramels OR 1, 10 ounce jar caramel sauce (I used Fleur de Sel Caramels from Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with non-stick spray then line a piece of parchment paper in it; set aside.
- In a stand-alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Next add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl; flour, baking soda and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and slowly add the dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide dough in half. Push half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Place caramels evenly on top (Pour caramel sauce over top if using it instead of the caramels) then drop the remaining dough in clumps on top of the caramel. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until top is nicely browned (mine baked for 30 min). Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt. Cool completely.