Sausage and Peppers Pasta is a wonderful weeknight dinner that is packed full of flavor and ready in just 30 minutes. Cooked sausage is mixed together with onion, garlic and tomatoes then tossed with your favorite pasta. Garnish with parmesan cheese and dinner is served!
I love a good and hearty meal…so does my family! Sausage and Peppers is just that – it’s filling and is delicious.
I love the Italian sausage links from Costco. I freeze them and thaw them (they thaw super quickly) for all sorts of meals. They are not spicy so the kiddos love them, too! And they are already flavored so nicely that they often naturally flavor the entire meal.
This dinner comes together very quickly and does not require a ton of clean up. I simply chop up all the vegetables and sauté them in olive oil. I then remove them from the pot and brown the sausage in the same pot (less clean up!!). Once the sausage is cooked, add a can of tomatoes, the vegetables, some spices and let it simmer for a bit. While the sauce is cooking, boil up some pasta. Stir it all together once everything is cooked and a hot meal is ready for serving!
Hope you enjoy this weeknight meal as much as we do!
- 1 pound Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (any kind will do. Can even mix two different colors)
- 2 large garlic cloves (3 if small), minced
- 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes (if you can find the one seasoned with basil, that will add flavor)
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Olive oil
- pasta water
- Parmesan cheese
- Prepare your ingredients - chop, dice, measure, etc.
- Drizzle some olive oil into a large pot and place over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute for a few minutes until softended. Then add diced peppers and garlic and saute for a few additonal minutes. Remove to a plate or bowl.
- In the same pot, add some more olive oil and the italian sausage, cook breaking it up with your spoon until nicely browned. Once browned, drain off excess fat then add vegetables, diced tomatoes, and the spices. Cover, turn heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, boil the pasta according to package directions. Before draining, spoon about 1 cup of pasta water to set aside.
- Add the pasta to the sauce, and add half of the pasta water and stir. If it seems dry, add a little more pasta water.
- Serve with a side salad and garnish with lots of parmesan cheese!