When you’re in a rut.
Make a slow cooker recipe. I swear it will make you feel better! Sometimes I get in a cooking rut…nothing sounds fun to make, nothing sounds good to make, I’m not feeling creative…basically feeling lazy.
It happens to the best of us right? We all have those days where we just don’t want to deal.
That’s usually when I make a slow cooker meal. I almost always have some sort of the roast in my freezer. Why? Because when they’re on sale at the store, I grab one because it’s such a good deal. Plus, I know I can throw it in the slow cooker with whatever and dinner is made.
There’s also something calming about having dinner pretty much already made before 9am…ya know what I mean?
This recipe was inspired by a restaurant I visited in Naples, Florida called Rumba Cuban Cafe. It was so amazing that I had to re-create the meal I had there.
Little did I know how easy it was to re-create, and that I had all the ingredients I needed on hand. If you don’t have a mango, don’t worry about it. Same goes for cilantro…not a huge deal if it’s missing. I just happen to always have cilantro because I buy it every Sunday.
I served it with rice and beans and I used this recipe for the black beans. I simply cooked the white rice according to package directions.
OMG you guys!! I love this recipe so much. Shred the beef (you can also use a pork roast) and serve it with the rice and beans and pour the sauce from the beef all over top of it. Top with cilantro and mango as desired and it’s like you’re at Rumba Cuban Cafe in Florida!
And the best part is? The leftovers are JUST as good!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest – just click the image below!
- 3-4 pounds beef chuck roast (pork roast would also work)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1, 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lime juice (optional)
- Chopped mango (for garnish)
- Chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Rub roast with cumin, salt, pepper and minced garlic; set aside
- Add the rest of the ingredients except mango and cilantro into a slow cooker and stir until well mixed.
- Add roast to the slow cooker, covering it with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with rice and beans.
recipe adapted from All Recipes