It’s cookie time! One of my favorite times of the year when it’s acceptable to make cookies ALL THE TIME. These darling snowball cookies (aka Russian tea cakes) are the easiest cookie you will ever make! Pecans are mixed into a simple buttery cookie dough then baked and rolled in powdered sugar. They’re the perfect cookie for winter!
You know who loves these cookies? My mom. She couldn’t stop eating them. She’s not a “sweets” person so these cookies were perfect for her!
As mentioned above, these are a cinch to make. The dough comes together so fast and has minimal ingredients. There’s not a lot of adding this then that and mix until it’s fluffy, etc. etc.
There are no eggs in this recipe making these cookies the crumbly kind! They’re supposed to crumble and melt in your mouth…it’s actually a wonderful change form a traditional cookie.
They’re obviously called snowball cookies because they look like a snowball but did you know that if you drop one on the floor they literally break apart and look like snow?
I figured that one out of my own…
There is no chilling required for this recipe either. The cookie dough is thick enough that it rolls together into perfect little balls. They don’t spread either…not supposed to, so don’t be alarmed!
These are wonderful in the morning with coffee or for a light dessert after dinner.
I think my favorite part is the hint of almond and the crunch of the pecans!
You really can’t go wrong with these. A very basic yet delicious cookie that’s perfect for the holidays!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar + more for rolling the cookies in
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2⅛ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- In a stand alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and a almond and mix well.
- Next, add the flour and salt and mix until crumbly.
- Finally, add the pecans and mix on medium speed until dough comes together. Careful to not over-mix.
- Measure about 1½ tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball (a cookie dough scoop works perfect for this) and place on the cookie sheet. Bake for 14 minutes. Remove and let cool then roll each cookie into powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Slightly adapted from: Live Well Bake Often