Happy Monday. It’s time for steak.
I can’t even express how excited I am to share this steak sandwich recipe with you. But first, how was your weekend? I have been out and about lately as you may have noticed if you follow me in INSTAGRAM. A few weekends ago I was in Nashville (so fun!!) celebrating my friend, Ashley’s, bachelorette party. We had a BLAST – music, beer, food, and friends? It doesn’t get much better than that.
This past weekend I was home – thank God. We hung out with friends and then just truly hung out. It was nice.
And now to this steak sandwich!!! Gah it’s SO good.
Pretzel buns may be the best “invention” ever. I don’t even like pretzels all that much, but buns? I love buns.
There are so many amazing flavors going on in this sandwich. First, I marinated the filets with my favorite steak marinade. You don’t have to do this, but it adds a ton of flavor that you don’t want to miss out on. Then I created a creamy horseradish sauce that is silly easy to make – mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, and horseradish. There is no salt or pepper needed because the steak is salty and the arugula is peppery. Oh arugula, I love you.
I grilled the steak, oh about 6 minutes per side, and got a nice charred crust on it which added even more flavor to sandwich. I let it rest for about 15 minutes – do NOT cut into the steak right away or else all the juicy goodness will run out and we don’t want that. Zee perfect pairing for this steak is some grilled corn and a beer.
might is the perfect summer grilled meal. Like ever.
- 2 6 ounce filets (if they're a little smaller, that's ok)
- Pretzel buns
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons horseradish
- If you are marinating your steak(s), do so at least 2 hours before you cook them. To make the marinade, add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
- After the steaks have marinated you first want to make the Horseradish sauce. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together. Cover and put in refrigerator.
- To cook the steaks you can either sear them in a hot skillet for 2 minutes on each side and then place them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or you can simply grill them. Before you cut into the steak, make sure they rest for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare sandwiches by slathering both sides of the pretzel bun with the prepared sauce. Add sliced steak and top with arugula.