I finally got around to making another slow cooker recipe. It’s been a while but it was definitely necessary. I needed a day where my slow cooker did all the work! This Sweet Potato Soup with Crumbled Sausage is so delicious, I can’t stand it. It’s healthy, too!
I’m in a salad club with two of my friends which means we make each other one salad a week. It’s so nice because 2 days out of the week lunch is made for me! As many stay at home moms know, sitting and eating isn’t always the easiest thing to do when you’re taking care of kids all day.
Anyway…sometimes we make soup instead of salad and one of my friends made a sweet potato soup and I LOVED it.
Like I said, this a throw everything in the pot and let it go kind of recipe – we have sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, apples, fresh thyme and chicken stock. Cover and let that cook and do its thaaang.
Whoever invented the slow cooker is genius, right?
You end up with this! I know it doesn’t look like much now but all those ingredients just cooked down and made the most delicious soup ever.
Simply remove the thyme stems and blend the soup! Add a little coconut milk or heavy cream to make it even more delicious and you’re done.
I fancied mine up with some crumbled Italian sausage because my husband has to have meat. However, this is not necessary but it’s very good! You could also add bacon if you’d like. The sweetness of the soup and the saltiness of the sausage pair so well together.
This is such a cozy soup…perfect for cold days!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe!!
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced into chunks
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into 4 large pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 4 large pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
- 32 ounces + 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (might need more after tasting)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or ½ cup cream
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, cooked and drained on a paper towel
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Prepare all the ingredients as noted above - sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, apple, carrots and celery. Don't cut too small otherwise they can overcook.
- Once all the ingredients are prepared, place them into a slow cooker, pour chicken stock over them, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the thyme sprigs on top.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. I cooked it both ways and I prefer low heat versus high heat but they both work just fine.
- Puree the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender and place back into the slow cooker. Stir in coconut milk, taste for seasoning - add more salt and pepper as desired then cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, prepare the sausage, Simply cook it in a sauté pan breaking it apart with a wooden spoon until cooked through and crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- When you're ready to serve, top soup with crumbled sausage and parmesan cheese.