Since the weather is now cold…
For us Chicagoans and Iowans at least, I am sharing a warm and comforting pasta recipe with you! Seriously though…I’m cold and it’s not even THAT cold here. Well, it’s like 50 at night or something, but I am wearing sweat shirts around the house…and I secretly love it. LOVE it. If you haven’t noticed already, I am a big fan of Fall weather. Love the food, love the clothes, love football, love pumpkins, love tortellini with sausage and broccoli.
This is the easiest dinner ever. Ready in less than 20 minutes and incredibly flavorful.
What makes this recipe so tasty you ask? Truthfully, all of the ingredients. The sausage is spicy, salty, and hearty. The tortellini is salty, cheesy, and chewy. The broccoli is fresh and crunchy. The chicken stock acts as a light sauce and of course zee garlic and Parmesan cheese speak for themselves. There is not salt or pepper necessary for this recipe. Trust me, there is enough going on in the ingredients already.
Alright, you got 20 minutes. GO!
- 1 12 ounce bag cheese tortellini (I used Rana)
- ½ pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium head of broccoli, chopped into large pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½-3/4 cup chicken stock (I used Swanson)
- Parmesan cheese for garnish and flavor
- Chopped parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through, then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add chicken stock and turn heat to low. The chicken stock acts as a light sauce so you don't want to simmer it too long or let it evaporate.
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions. 1 minute before tortellini is done, add the broccoli to the boiling water. Drain pasta and broccoli and add it to the sausage. Gently toss and garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.