So cute right? You can never go wrong with a classic vanilla cupcake with buttercream frosting. I really like this cupcake recipe because it’s simple and makes the perfect rounded cupcake.
Last week I went to a cooking class with my foodie friend, Julia over at A Cedar Spoon, and Dave, from Dave’s Specialty Foods in Mount Prospect, IL made these cupcakes and I really enjoyed them. He dipped them in chocolate ganache (cream and chocolate) and didn’t use cupcake liners – they were the “real deal.” I appreciate his rustic clean way of cooking and baking.
This cupcake batter is whipped and full and makes the perfect rounded cupcake. This cupcake is not a dense moist cupcake that get’s stuck on the roof of your mouth. It’s a crumbly, but not dry, slightly moist cupcake – much different from what the cupcake boutiques often serve. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good boutique cupcake, but it’s also nice to enjoy a simple one every once in a while.
I made a traditional butter cream frosting to top off these cupcakes. Vanilla cupcakes deserve a sweet buttercream which makes these so perfect. This is great cupcake for any celebration…birthday, wedding shower, baby shower…you name it!
Add a few of your favorite sprinkles and you have yourself an adorable delicious cupcake.
- 1¾ cup flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ⅔ cup coconut milk-unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3½ cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons cream or milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a mini or regular cupcake pan. You can also use cupcake liners if you would like.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in bowl and mix well with fingertips.
- In a mixer, whip butter, and sugar until thick and pale, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla and mix until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Next add coconut milk and mix well. Batter will look lumpy.
- Fold in reserved dry ingredients with a spatula. Batter with be thick and fluffy.
- Spoon cupcake batter into prepared pan, about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check at 12 minutes and continue checking until cupcakes have puffed and a thin knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixer, whip butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar a little at a time and whip for another 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk and salt and continue to whip for 4-5 minutes. Check for consistency, if it's too thick add another tablespoon of cream or milk to thin it out.
- Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
Slightly adapted from: Dave’s Specialty Foods