I mean HELLO gorgeous! I am so excited to share this recipe with you because I’ve been working on this one for awhile. One of my goals this year is to share CAKE with you. I am loving cake lately and I want to make sure that Stuck On Sweet is packed full of yummy cake recipes for you.
Yellow Cake is just the start my friends.
With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, of course. I am loving this yellow cake recipe because it’s simple and classic. It doesn’t call for a million egg yolks which is great.
It’s moist yet crumbly and has a great butter flavor. I added butter extract to make sure that butter flavor was present. The Chocolate Buttercream Frosting compliments the cake plus it’s so classic with yellow cake.
It’s delicious as is, but I also love a scoop of ice cream with cake. Do you agree? Let’s be real…ice cream is good on anything.
HERE ARE A FEW TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
Try to stick to the recipe as much as possible. You may be able to adapt a few things, like 2% milk instead of whole milk, but I do suggest using whole milk as the fat makes the cake richer.
This is not the traditional way of making a cake, but I can promise that if you follow the directions, it will turn out! It’s very typical to cream butter and sugar, add eggs and then the dry ingredients – that works for cakes, too! However, this recipe is the opposite and I have tried it both ways and I prefer this way for this cake.
You can bake the cake ahead of time, cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap.
The cake tastes better the next day so plan ahead if needed!
Don’t forget the sprinkles!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups whole milk, room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (if you use salted, omit the salt below)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter extract
- 3 room temperature eggs
- Cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray two round cake bans with baking spray then dust with flour, set aside.
- Add butter to your mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix for 30 seconds; scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Next, add wet ingredients - milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, butter extract and eggs and mix on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Divide batter between the two baking pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs on it. Let cool.
- To make buttercream add butter and cocoa powder to your mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix on high speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Frost cake and decorate to your liking.