This dessert totally melted my heart.
Have I mentioned that I love Valentine’s Day? I know it’s over with and we are moving on, but how was your Valentine’s Day weekend? Did you eat some sweets and stuff your face?
I sure hope so. Yes, it’s a day to spend with your sweetie but it’s also a day to indulge and eat whatever your little heart desires. This is exactly what the husband and I did this year. I was out of town visiting my family in Iowa, then spent a few days in Florida (why do I live in Illinois?) for work, so the big day kiiiind of crept up on me. It hit me last Wednesday, while in Florida, that Vin and I had absolutely no plans. I wasn’t in the mood to get all dressed up and go out to a fancy dinner so what did we decide to do? Put our stretchy pants on and make crab legs, steak, macaroni and cheese, and for dessert…nothing other than this chocolate lava cake. Then we had a date with Breaking Bad, Season 3, episodes 6 and 7.
What kind of Valentine’s Day person are you? Stay at home or go out? I’m a little of both I think, but whatever we do, I always end the night in stretchy pants.
So this recipe makes 6 cakes and I made all 6 for the 2 of us. I thought to cut the recipe down, but then I figured, ehh what the heck, we might want seconds.
And sure enough we did. This cake is everything a dessert should be – completely and totally satisfying. It’s like eating cake batter with ice cream, but better because it’s slightly baked on the outside, ooey and gooey on the inside. I love chocolate with ice cream…love whipped cream too, but love ice cream way more. The strawberries aren’t just there for pretty. They added a little sweet acid to the super chocolatey cake.
You do not need to go to a restaurant to get a lava cake…trust me, you can make this at home. I made the batter in the morning – you just need a bowl and whisk. I filled up the custard cups, covered them and popped them in the fridge until I was ready to bake. It’s a wonderful, make ahead dessert for a dinner party – put that in your back pocket!
Please tell me you’re going to make these?!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 8 (1 ounce squares) semi sweet chocolate
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ stick butter)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and generously grease 6, 6 ounce custard cups with butter or non-stick spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl until completely melted and smooth. Add flour and sugar and mix until incorporated. Stir in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly amongst custard cups and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 14 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, run a knife around the edges then invert onto plate. Serve with berries and vanilla ice cream.
Source: Stuck on Sweet, Slightly Adapted From: Paula Dean