Is a great weeknight meal. There’s something to be said about having dinner ready in 30 minutes or less right? I love coming home from work and being in the kitchen. I would hang in there all night because I love to cook, but lately I’ve been wanting to eat leftovers or make something simple YET tasty and satisfying, like this chicken piccata. Maybe it’s because we’re addicted to Breaking Bad and have to watch 3 episodes every night. I LOVE TV shows. Love them.
As I said, this meal comes together pretty quickly and it’s SO flavorful. The chicken cooks in the delicious piccata sauce and soaks up all the amazing flavors of lemon, capers and chicken broth.
If you’ve been reading Stuck On Sweet, you know I’m not a fan of a thick chicken breasts. I always butterfly slice mine so I get two pieces from one breast. There are many benefits of doing this - #1: takes less time to cook, #2: cooks more evenly, #3: it’s a prettier presentation, and #4: chicken is more tender. A chef once told me not to pound chicken to thin it out because it makes it tough. Is that true? I’m not sure, but my chicken always comes out tender just by slicing it in half. Yay for cooking tips!
Did I mention how healthy this dinner is too? I cut back on the butter just for that reason. Of course, go ahead and add more if you would like but I don’t think it’s necessary. The sauce has enough yummy goodness as it is.
Ugh lemons are so pretty!
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced in half (6 thin pieces total), seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Flour for dredging
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup capers
- Fresh parsley
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder then dredge in flour, shake off excess.
- In a larger skillet over medium to medium high heat add 3 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter. Once oil and butter start to sizzle add 3 chicken breasts and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside. Add more olive oil if needed and cook the other 3 chicken breasts, remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet add chicken stock, lemon juice, and capers. Bring to a boil. Check for seasoning; add salt and pepper if needed. Add all chicken back into skillet and simmer 3-5 minutes. Remove chicken to a platter. Finish sauce with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and fresh parsley. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Source: Stuck on Sweet, Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis