I love waking up to this.
This breakfast is by far one of my favorites to wake up to for two reasons. One being…I don’t have to do anything and I can just pop it in the microwave to heat it up and two being, it’s SO delicious while being healthy.
Yes, this can be baked ahead and reheated…in fact I think it’s better that way!
How do you make it? Oatmeal is mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans, chia seeds and of course, blueberries. You can add other fruit if you would like…strawberries, blackberries, and apples would be very good, too! To hold it all together you simply mix together milk, eggs, fat (oil or butter) and vanilla. I made this twice with dairy milk and almond milk…I prefer the almond milk but that’s up to you!
What I love most about this recipe is the sweetness. It’s just sweet enough…sometimes oatmeal based dishes can be dull and lack flavor, but I promise you this one is so tasty! The cinnamon, pinch of salt and vanilla help give it a ton of flavor without adding calories. I also love the texture of this dish – it’s chewy, crunchy and the blueberries pop in your mouth!
Totally a keeper.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans (walnuts and almonds would work, too)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or butter (I used coconut oil), melted
- 2½ cups milk (any kind will do, even almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2 QT or 2½ QT baking dish; set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Dump half of the dry ingredients into the prepared baking dish and top with half of the blueberries. Repeat and dump the other half of dry ingredients and top with the other half of blueberries.
- In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients and pour on top of the dry ingredients in the prepared baking dish. No need to mix - there will be enough liquid to cover everything.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is set. Let cool sightly. Serve warm.
Adapted from Sofabfood.com