Lemon Shortbread Bars are the perfect Spring dessert. An oatmeal shortbread dough is baked then topped with a fresh creamy lemon filling then crumbled with more shortbread dough and baked until crisp.
You know there are the classic desserts out there and lemon bars are one of them. In fact, I have a lemon bar recipe on my blog and they are fantastic. However, I recently tried a lemon crumb bar from a local restaurant and I fell in love. It reminded me of a traditional lemon bar but with more texture. I knew I had to make one for you guys before Spring so you have the recipe for all the fun Spring festivities coming up!
What sets these apart from any other lemon bar recipe, is they are made with a combination of oats and flour giving the shortbread part of the dessert a nice texture. They are also made with a creamy lemon filling, which is lighter in flavor than a traditional lemon bar. Sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks help give the lemon filling that creamy texture.
I have found more often than not that people LOVE lemon desserts. Maybe it’s because we are craving Spring flavors right now with this nasty Winter we are having or it’s because lemon desserts just are SO Good.
I have to think it’s a little of both, but I seem too, to enjoy lemon desserts more often than I think I do. Perhaps we don’t make them at home that much which is why I needed to make sure I made this recipe for you! Now we don’t have to go buy a delicious lemon crumb bar, we can make them at home!
- 3 sticks (24 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature (if you use salted, omit the salt below)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest from 3 large lemons (if they are not large, use 4)
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 21 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1½ cans)
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice (approximately 3 large lemons)
- 3 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (hand-held works too), cream together butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the lemon zest; scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Next add the salt, flour and oats and cream until just incorporated, scraping down bowl as necessary.
- Press half of the dough into the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator to chill.
- While the crust is baking, make the lemon filling by whisking together the sweetened condensed milk, rest of the lemon zest, egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Remove crust from oven, pour lemon filling on top and crumble the rest of the shortbread dough on top. Put back into the oven for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting. Store in refrigerator.