It’s time for soup.
Because it’s still cold! Ugh! Not even going to talk about it…
I try to make soup every other week or so at our house. It’s always pretty simple to make and generally healthy. We’ve been eating a lot of hearty food lately like meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn, pasta, etc. Ya know…the good stuff. Do you mix your corn and mashed potatoes? It’s one of those combinations that just works. I sometimes add a little ketchup because I’m a little craaaazy.
Try it. It’s good.
So corn! I don’t know what it was that got me thinking corn soup. Maybe Pinterest recipes or the whole eating it with my mashed potoatoes? Not realty sure but I decided to make some soup and have the corn be the main flaaava.
I didn’t want to fuss too much with this recipe either so I bought a rotisserie chicken for the meat and some parsley for the herbs. Other than salt and pepper, the vegetables really make up this recipe. This is a healthy one! However…I was thinking…you could…add a little cream to this soup…if you want…
Or be simple and healthy like we did. That’s ok sometimes…just sometimes though.
I’m lying…I live off simplicity. The more simple, the better. It’s fund to get a little craaazy though. Not sure where the craaazy is coming from today. Friday?
So vegetable corn soup is perfect for a weeknight meal or a light lunch. I re-heated some when I came home from work. It was lovely and simple. Flavors were sweet and fresh and the vegetable were still slightly crisp. I can’t believe I didn’t sprinkle any cheese on top of this one. I usually ALWAYS put a little parmesan in my soups. Go ahead and do it if you have some.
BAH! I completely forgot about the jalapeno! It adds a nice little kick to the soup…it’s not really that spicy though…just pumps it up a little.
Ehh got for it…add some cream will ya? Be craaaazy!
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 garlic cloves)
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed then diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14 ounce can of corn
- 1 14 ounce can creamed corn
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and diced/shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large soup pot add olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, zucchini, carrots, and jalapeno. Sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetable soften a little.
- Add corn, creamed corn, chicken, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock. Stir and cover the pot and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, remove lid and let soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and doneness - vegetables should be soft but have a slight bite to them. Add fresh parsley and enjoy.