Looking for something sweet?
and perhaps ooey and gooey too? Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Blondies with Coconut and Caramel Drizzle are probably what you’re looking for.
Yes, I think they meet all the requirements of a dessert craving that involves chocolate, caramel, coconut, oatmeal, and just overall deliciousness. Wouldn’t you say?
I am seriously in love with these. I don’t even know what made me want to make these other than I was craving caramel. I did walk by some organic coconut at the Fresh Market and it was on SALE (Wahoo!) so I bought it because I figured I could use it somehow. So glad I did…look what it turned into.
My only regret, I don’t think I drizzled enough caramel on these blondies and I had some left over…less is more? More is less?
So these are ridiculously easy to make and I’m not going to make you make (can you say make one more time?) homemade caramel sauce even though it’s amaaaaazing. This caramel is made with a little heavy cream and some caramel candies…easy peasy friends.
You know who would like these? My mom. She loves coconut and oatmeal. Not the biggest sweet fan in the world, but these truly aren’t all that sweet so maybe it’s good that I didn’t drizzle more caramel on them. Nah nah nah…drizzle more. Drizzle ALL of it.
Isn’t caramel just so pretty? I go nuts for caramel stuff on Pinterest. “Oh, it has caramel in it?” Pin. “Oh, it’s dipped in caramel?” Pin. “Oh, homemade caramel?” Pin.
You get it.
They cut so nicely too. Love that. Ooey and gooey but also have straight edges? #crazyfoodblogger
It’s the leaning tower of Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Blondies…with caramel. Of course.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ of the caramels from an 11 ounce bag, unwrapped
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the edges.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, oats, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugars. Next add the egg and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- With the mixer on low-speed, slowly add the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Lastly, gently mix in the coconut and chocolate chips.
- Press dough into the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Let bars cool completely.
- While the bars are cooling, make the caramel sauce. Add the caramels and heavy cream to a sauce pan. Place the pan over medium-low heat stirring constantly until the caramels completely melt. This can take about 8 minutes. Careful not to burn, turn heat to low if necessary.
- Drizzle caramel over bars and let sit again for about 20 minutes for the caramel to cool and set.