This salad makes me so happy.
Everything about it reminds me of 80 degree weather. I am also obsessing about the colors – they’re so bright and cheerful. Definitely need some light in my life this week. Everything is so grey here which makes me super unmotivated to not do much of anything other than curl up on the couch and watch season 2 of Revenge. God I love that show.
I am realizing more and more that I adore salads. Do you? They’re simple, healthy, and flavorful. The creativity is endless. I love mixing and matching different fruits, vegetables, and proteins then eating all of them in one bite.
It’s so much fun.
And steak. I like steak – I’m from Iowa so I don’t think I ever had a choice to NOT like steak. Filets are my faaaaavorite. I like making them sweet. Is that weird? I love adding brown sugar to steak. It’s oddly delicious. Just how I prefer a sweet pizza sauce over a spicy or acidic one. Ya feel me?
I bought the creamiest blue cheese and it made all the difference. I like stinky cheese – you should too. The stinkier the better. See? I told you I wasn’t a picky eater. No really though, do you like blue cheese? A lot of people don’t. Make this salad and I think you will like it. Sweet corn, strawberries, tangy blue cheese, and steak? Heaven people. Heaven.
Summer where are you?
- 2 4-6 ounce filets, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and brown sugar
- 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil for filets and pan
- 5 strawberries, chopped
- 2 ears of corn, seasoned with salt and pepper (canned corn would also work)
- blue cheese
- vinaigrette (I used a bottled raspberry vinaigrette
- Romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare filets by seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic powder and brown sugar then cover with olive oil. Sear steak over medium high heat in an oven proof saute pan or cast iron skillet. Sear each side for about 2 minutes or until a crust starts to form. Finish steak in the oven for 10 minutes. Let rest while you prepare the other ingredients.
- I roasted the corn in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. You can boil or grill as well. Cut corn off the cob.
- Prepare the salad with all the ingredients adding sliced steak last. The longer the steak rests before you slice it, the juicier it will be. Finish with a vinaigrette.