Are you a cake person?
Some people actually don’t like cake. It’s hard to believe…I know. However, I do understand. Cake doesn’t always curve that sweet tooth craving – when you want something sweet, do you reach for cake or do you reach for ice cream or a cookie?
Or an Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen?
Or a spoonful of Nutella?
Even though this dessert recipe is considered cake. It’s so much better than a traditional cake…it doesn’t have icing and it’s not vanilla or chocolate. It’s a yellow cinnamon cake with buttery crumb topping.
Dessert craving? Trust me…you will reach for this cake!
And! And! And! It’s pretty darn good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream…everything is better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. mmmk?
The best part of this cake? It’s made with a simple yellow cake mix that’s been slightly jazzed up with a packet of vanilla pudding and some cinnamon. So this is a semi-homemade recipe which makes things suuuuuper easy.
I actually made this for Vin’s Birthday back in November and he loved it. I don’t think we ever sat down and had a piece of cake – it was once of those desserts that you took a fork to in the morning just for one bite…and then it turned into another bite or two after dinner…then before we knew it it was almost gone.
I know…sorta weird.
Are you craving cake now?
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- To make the cake, mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- To make the crumb topping, mix all of the ingredients in a medium boil and sprinkle on top of cake batter. Gently press crumb topping down into cake batter and bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy.
Crumb topping recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Classy