I was in the mood for some serious soup. Not just any soup, but soup that would fill up my soul and change my life kind of soup. You know what I’m talking about? A one stop shop…fill me up without being hungry later and leave me completely full and satisfied.
It’s packed full of all kinds of veggies, spices, herbs and ITALIAN SAUSAGE which brings so much flavor to the table anyway. The trick to making this soup extra flavorful is cooking it low and slow, don’t rush it. Let the broth soak up all the goodness of every ingredient. And hey, if you forgot the cannellini beans and have kidney beans or if your forgot zucchini and have a green pepper instead, go right ahead and use them. Have fun with the veggies in this soup and make it what YOU like.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 4 links mild Italian sausage (or about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes - drained
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans - drained
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ½ bag of spinach - you can use more if you would like
- 64 ounces beef broth (I used 2 32 ounce cartons)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- handful of fresh basil, chopped,
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (the sausage and broth already have salt in them so taste before adding salt)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons flour
- In a large pot add a few tablespoons olive oil. Add sausage and cook until browned. Add the rest of ingredients except zucchini, spinach, fresh basil and parsley. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 hours add zucchini,spinach and fresh parsley. Take a few ladles of the broth and mix it with the flour. Add the broth and flour mixture to the soup - this will help thicken it slightly. Simmer for one more hour. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.
- You can also make this in the crock pot - brown sausage in a pan. Once browned add the sausage to the crock pot with the rest of ingredients, except zucchini, parsley, basil and spinach. Cook on low for 6 hours and then add zucchini, basil, parsley and spinach. Take a few ladles of the broth and mix it with the flour. Add the broth and flour mixture to the soup - this will help thicken it slightly. continue to cook for 1-2 hours more. Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.
Source: Stuck on Sweet