Sweet and tart Lemon Brownies with Lemon Glaze are definitely a twist on a traditional brownie. No chocolate here! But rather fresh lemon juice and lemon zest that make this dessert lip smackin’ good!
So how was your weekend? We had a wonderful weekend! We headed back to Iowa Friday evening and attended my oldest friend’s wedding on Saturday, and on Sunday we attended some of our good friend’s wedding shower! It was a packed full weekend of eating, sipping on beers, and getting dressed up. I loved it.
Nice, NORMAL, picture.
Vin cannot just take a “nice” picture. He’s gotta do something all funny and weird. Truthfully, it’s one of the reasons I married him – he’s a hell of a time. 😉
So last week my sister asked me to make something chewy and lemon so I decided to whip up a batch of these easy lemon brownies to take back to Iowa with us. Don’t get these confused with lemon bars, they are truly brownies just substituting a bunch of lemon juice and lemon zest for the chocolate.
When I told Vin I was making lemon brownies he was like “oh yeah lemon bars! Nice.” I then had to explain that no, they are not lemon bars, but brownies. They don’t have a lemon filling blah blah blah. He looked at me like whaaaa?
So my friends, you can in fact make a brownie that is not chocolate! Think about the endless possibilities!! Peanut butter brownies, strawberries and cream brownies, white chocolate brownies… Ya with me? I hope so.
These are lip smoochin’ tart and sweet. I love food that makes me react – like purse my lips together, or roll my eyes, or jump up and down like a little kid that just got not one, but two scoops of ice cream. We don’t want to eat something and just sit there and stare. No fun.
So get those smackers ready.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- zest from two lemons
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- heaping tablespoon of sour cream
- juice from 1½ lemons
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- juice from 2 lemons
- zest from 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- water (only if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9 or 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large bowl mix sugar and lemon zest with your hands until lemon zest is infused into the sugar. Next mix in oil, eggs, sour cream, and lemon juice. Lastly, add flour and salt and mix until just incorporated.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let cool completely before adding glaze.
- To make glaze, add all ingredients (except water) into a bowl and whisk. If glaze is too thick, add ½ teaspoon of water at a time to thin it out. Once brownies are cooled, pour glaze on top and let sit until glaze hardens.