I was hoping to share these Springy cookies with you on a Springy day.
We just can’t win out here in Illinois. One day it’s 70 degrees and sunny and the next day it’s rainy and below 30. What gives? I am so ready to just sweat and be uncomfortably hot. I know it’s a weird thing to be ready for, but when you’ve been cold for 6 months, you would want that too.
Well I am moving on. See ya lata winter. Hello lemons! Lemon cookies are one of Vin’s favorites. Honestly, if I didn’t marry an Italian man, I probably wouldn’t even consider making lemon cookies. It’s an Italian thing…it’s a good thing. I knew there were lemon cookies out there, but the only lemon desserts I’ve ever really tried were lemon bars and lemon meringue pie. Both yum. My mom loves lemon. She’s one of those that doesn’t have a sweet tooth, but if there is a lemon bar around, yeah…she will eat and love every second of it.
I looooove the cream cheese in these cookies. It doesn’t change the flavor – it’s not cream cheesy, but the texture of the cookie is fluffy, light, crumbly yet cakey. It just works and it’s fabulous.
And hey! These are a great cookie for Easter if you need a few ideas. They’re sweet, tart, bright, cheery, and simple to make. I personally think they taste even better the next day so you can totally make these ahead of time. Your friends and family will gobble these up, I know this for a fact…because mine did. Every last one was gone.
I may have been responsible for a good portion of them, but still. GONE.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the image below!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 8 ounces plain cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used 3)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- 1-2 teaspoons water (only need if the icing is too thick)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
- In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside
- In a stand alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and cream cheese. Add eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add flour mixture a little at a time until incorporated. Dough will be sticky, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Measure 1½ tablespoons of dough and drop on cookie sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes (mine baked for 15). Cookies will be puffy. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk all ingredients in a bowl, except water. If glaze seems too thick, add a little water. Drizzle on top of cooled cookies and let sit until glaze sets.