In the mood for some soup?
ok ok ok I know it’s still Summer technically, but I am sharing this recipe for rosemary vegetable soup with PARMESAN CROUTONS anyway. I guess it’s technically a Summer soup because it uses Summer vegetables so we’re good, even though I am begging for cooler temperatures and pumpkin spice lattes…
I’m in a wedding this weekend…and really needed to lay off the baked goods the past few weeks…. and didn’t. Sooooooo I ate this soup every day for lunch this week instead, and now? Feeling pretty darn good.
Anyway, this soup is the perfect lighter meal and the flavor is crazy good.
See? Summer vegetables – zucchini, yellow squash, and corn off the cob! I also added an onion, some garlic (of course), and a can of diced tomatoes. I love an easy recipe. Oh! Can’t forget about the rosemary which brings all those yummy vegetables together. I have it growing out of my ears right now so I had to create some recipes to use it. I thought about basil, but that would have been too predictable because I put basil in everything. Rosemary it is!
My two favorite ingredients in this recipe are the corn, because it adds a sweet crunchy bite, and the parmesan croutons. These croutons are ridiculously tasty and simple to make.
I took some bread, cut it into cubes, drizzled some olive oil on them, then sprinkled some garlic powder, pepper, and a ton of parmesan on them, then rolled them around a bit, popped them in a hot oven and waited about 10 minutes or so, then took them out to slightly cool, then ate every last one of them and put a few in my soup (now breathe). I also used whole grain bread my friends. You can use whatever floats your boat but since this was a lighter soup, I thought the whole grain would pair well with the veggies and the rosemary. It sure did.
Those croutons? Paleeeeease make them soon. You will die.
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut off the ears
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow squash, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium sprigs or 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounce loaf of bread (I used a whole grain), cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat.
- Add onions and corn to the pot and saute for a few minutes.
- Add zucchini and garlic and continue to saute for an additional 5 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Lastly, add the can of tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, make the parmesan croutons.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread the croutons on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive over the bread then sprinkle with the garlic powder, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Using your hand, thoroughly mix the croutons so they are all evenly coated. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, flipping them once so they brown evenly on all sides.
- Garnish soup with parmesan cheese and croutons