Today I am bringing you a simple week night dinner. Chicken and mashed potatoes – doesn’t get much more simple and satisfying than that right?
This recipe is also very healthy and full of flavor. I added just a touch of butter in the mashed potatoes because I wanted to but didn’t have to. Otherwise, there is no butter juts healthy extra virgin olive oil in this recipe.
This recipe is also SUPER easy. It’s pretty much a one pot meal. I like to slice chicken breasts in half so I get thinner pieces. I also find that they cook a little more even than a thicker piece of chicken. I wish i came up with this idea on my own, but I didn’t – I attended a cooking class and the chef said to never pound chicken to make it thinner but to rather just slice it in half. He had a french accent so I listened. 😉 It is not necessary to do this, but note that if you don’t slice them thinner, your cooking time will go up a little bit.
So all you need to do is add chicken, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest and seasonings the baking dish, toss, and bake! Then add a little wine and a little lemon juice at the end and this recipe is done. Whip up some simple mashed potatoes or rice and you have meal people!
The mashed potatoes help soak up the pan juices and add so much flavor. No need to fancy them up too much – just add milk, salt, pepper and a little butter if you want – the pan juices will take care of the rest!
This is not a heavy meal which is nice sometimes right? The lemon and rosemary not only add tons of flavor but add a freshness that is light and satisfying. And the GARLIC – no words needed there. 😉
Enjoy this healthy and FRESH week night dinner!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves stripped from stems
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 lemon, zested and half juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice chicken in half so you have 6 thin pieces. Arrange chicken in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Add garlic, rosemary, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest and seasonings (salt, pepper and onion powder). Toss and coat the chicken with all ingredients, then place in oven. Roast 15 minutes. Then add wine and lemon juice (half of the lemon) to the dish and combine with pan juices. Turn broiler on and return chicken to broil for 3 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes to soak up pan juices.
Source: Stuck on Sweet, Adapted from: Rachel Ray