pictures updated August 28, 2015
Get excited because this chicken is amazing.
I am a little weird when it comes to chicken. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t so I don’t cook it as often as I would like. But in an effort to eat less red meat, I decided to slather it in pesto, bread it, bake it, and then cover it with fresh mozzarella cheese and balsamic glaze – now that is what I am talking about people!
Now, how did this recipe come about? I came across a jar of pesto at Trader Joe’s awhile back and bought it without having any idea of how I was gong to use it. Grocery stores are like Target to me. I go in with my short list of NEEDS and come out with things like pesto or five cartons of ice cream which ultimately sit in my freezer until they get freezer burn then I throw them away. It’s quite a problem…really.
I’m kidding…I never throw away ice cream…even if it has freezer burn.
Anyway, can we talk about fresh mozzarella cheese? It might be the best thing ever.
It is the best thing ever.
How pretty are these tomatoes? They add a beautiful pop of color and pair so well with the simple flavors in this dish. I love roasting tomatoes. I love roasting any vegetable…it totally deepens the natural flavors of the vegetable and it makes food look so darn pretty.
And finally we have balsamic glaze…which might be the best thing ever.
Wait…I thought fresh mozzarella was the best…
Now that I think about it, fresh mozzarella with balsamic glaze IS the best thing ever. Sorry. I digress.
Dinner is served.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your Pinterest board by clicking the image below!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bags spinach
- 1 container heirloom tomatoes
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- 2 cups seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garlic powder
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees and wrap baking sheet in aluminum foil.
- Prepare chicken by cutting chicken breasts in half to make 4 thin chicken breasts (or you can purchase thinly sliced chicken breasts). Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken into a zip loc bag and cover with 4 tablespoons pesto. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, pour panko breads crumbs in a shallow dish. Once chicken is marinated cover with panko bread crumbs and place in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, place two slices of mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast and place back into the oven for 5 minutes to melt.
- Prepare the tomatoes by placing them on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Put into 375 degree oven with chicken until tomatoes start to pop and wilt, about 25 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add both bags of spinach with 1 garlic clove. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Turn heat to low as spinach begins to wilt.
- Pour 1 cup of balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan over medium high heat until it begins to slightly boil then turn heat down for the vinegar to simmer about 10-15 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon.
Source: Stuck on Sweet